make this jellyfish light for your little one!
when i started on the diy project for design*sponge last month, the early stages of the "pinata inspired party lighting" reminded me of floaty little jellyfish.
ikea carries a couple of different shapes of paper lanterns. one of each would make a perfect grouped trio of jellyfish hanging in your child's sea themed bedroom.
to make the jellyfish:
1. follow the directions on design*sponge to create the fringe for the bottom of the jellyfish.
2. glue only a few rows of fringe on the bottom of the lantern.
3. to create the tentacles... i used waxed white tissue paper. (regular tissue will work just fine if you can't find waxed) start with a circle about 6-8 inches in diameter. using scissors, cut in from the outer edge of the circle in a spiral pattern, starting wide and tapering the width of the tentacle as you cut toward the center of the circle.
4. tape or glue the wide end of the tissue spiral to the bottom ring of the paper lantern.
5. repeat step 3 to make more tentacles. tape or glue them all around the edge of the bottom circle of the lantern and also on the bar that stretches across the circle. you are done!